Do you like this site? Remember to share it to all your friends on Facebook and Twitter!

Monday, August 3, 2009

BGP Memory Requirement, Estimation

I was asked about how to estimate the memory requirement for a BGP implementation. I found this page on Cisco.com could be a good source for us making this estimation.
The article in fact is about techniques to minimize the memory consumption of a BGP implementation. However, the table on the "Conclusion" section answers my question:


Number of Prefixes

Memory Consumed

No Filtering

98,410

70,882,248

Autonomous System Filter

31,667

28,132,528

Well, if this table is true, I can easily tell a BGP table with 100,000 entries would takes around 70 Megabytes.

One of my friends confirms it is a good estimation on his BGP router. Is this estimation also working for you? Please share with me!

[Reference]
"Achieve Optimal Routing and Reduce BGP Memory Consumption" on Cisco.com
Do you like this post? You really should consider Subscribing by Email!


Related Posts with Thumbnails

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tip: you can also anonymously comment here.

Popular Posts